Since graduating from the Savannah College of Art and Design in 2005 with a BFA in Industrial Design I have quickly gained valuable experience as a designer and researcher. I have acquired a diverse set of methods and strategies that allow me to approach any design challenge with confidence. My goal is to arrive at an innovative and attractive solution that adds value for the user and builds upon the brand integrity of the client.
1OAK Technologies – Fort Collins, CO
Industrial Designer – April 2013 – Present
OtterBox – Fort Collins, CO
Industrial Designer – January 2011 – April 2013
Viking Range Corporation – Greenwood, MS
Industrial Designer – August 2007 – January 2011
• Create sketches and renderings to explore and communicate form and concepts.
• Render photorealistic 3D CAD models for concept exploration and presentation.
• Build physical models utilizing rapid prototyping and traditional model making.
• Lead designer working with domestic and foreign manufacturers from concept to production.
• Employ multiple research methods to identify new design opportunities.
• Evaluate pre-production and production parts for approval.
• Specify materials, finishes, and colors for products.
Advent – Nashville, TN
Freelance Design Partner – November 2009 – Present
• Design support for a variety of corporate, educational, and civic institution brand spaces.
• Create sketches, renderings, and environmental graphic design with short deadlines.
• Specify materials, finishes, lighting, and colors for environments and exhibits.
Concept Center International – Anderson, SC
Design Researcher – January 2006 – August 2007
Design Center for Ryobi, Ridgid, Milwaukee, Craftsman, Toro, and Homelite tools
• Analyzed industry, technology, and design trends to find new opportunities.
• Conducted end user ethnographic interviews and contextual research in field settings.
• Lead and participated in brainstorming with multidisciplinary teams.
• Developed branding with international teams guided by user insight and company objectives.
• Transformed findings into strategic and/or product insights and concepts.
DJS Design, Charlotte, NC
Designer – August 2005 – January 2006
Exhibit design consultants specializing in athletic facilities, museums, and way finding
• Generated sketches, models, and architectural drawings for concepts, presentation, and fabrication.
• Researched new technologies and components to implement into exhibits and inspire the team.
• Met with vendors, fabricators, and clients to review concepts, materials, and applications.
Concept Center International – Anderson, SC
Industrial Design Internship – Spring 2005
• Generated sketches and renderings for conceptual development, patents, and presentations.
• Worked in multidisciplinary teams that included engineering, sales, marketing, and designers.
• Participated in international development of a new visual brand language for an existing brand.
Savannah College of Art and Design
BFA – Industrial Design, Minor – Computer Art 1999-2004
Awards and Accolades
• GOOD Design Award 2009 – Viking Designer kitchen appliance line, 2008-2009
• IDEA Award 2010, Bronze – Viking Designer kitchen appliance line, 2008-2009
• U.S. Patent – Viking Range Corporation
• Provisional U.S. Patent – Viking Range Corporation
• Guest Juror and Student Mentor – SCAD | Continuum Design Charrette 2008
• 1st Place – Bike rack design competition – Greenwood, MS
Mac and PC, MS Office, Photoshop, Illustrator, InDesign, Acrobat, Rhino, Alias, Hypershot, Vectorworks, Maya, Painter, Sketchbook Pro, MS Office, Keynote, Final Cut Pro, Dreamweaver
Market and observational research, Contextual research, Research interviews, Persona and scenario development, Heuristic evaluations, Usability testing, Focus groups, Brainstorming, Iterative sketching, Form development, Digital sketching and rendering, Photorealistic 3D CAD rendering, sourcing, Rapid prototyping, Model building and finishing, Material and finish specification, Product photography, Design Presentation
Activities + Interests
My passion for the outdoors and adventure means that you will usually find me skiing, mountain biking, hiking, camping, kayaking, playing soccer, or trying something new and exciting. As an active member of the community I often serve as a youth soccer coach, volunteer, and face painter. I am interested in all realms of art and design including; photography, painting, and architecture.